Sunday 4 November 2018

Playing Lego With Python - www.brickalo.com

So I've taken a break from developing the python code for tracking and adding Lego bricks to an .ldr model file so that I could turn my current code into a website which would help to display some of the ideas that I've been working on.   The result is www.brickalo.com



I've tweaked the colour allocation of bricks so that it creates a "rainbow" effect as the bricks are added to the pile and I've used some of the other work I've done in Modo to create a command line renderer for each Lego pile so that you end up with a pretty picture of your pile of Lego - I used Mobirise to create the basic bootstrap website - Mobirise is free and allows you to create a static bootstrap website really quickly and easily but I then had to switch to PHP to create the dynamic code for the website (the "WOW BRICKALO" gallery section on the home page and the timeline elements on the Archive page).  Working in PHP was slightly weird having spent so long in Python, but the main structures are similar so coding the dynamic elements was not too complex. 




The whole site is hosted on Amazon's AWS free tier and whilst in isolation www.brickalo.com might seem a bit weird; as a method of displaying the work I've done - mostly on my commute to and from work over the last nine months, I feel it works well and I'm really pleased that it's drawn together a number of different strands that I've been working on over the last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment